Sunday, October 12, 2014

My EPIK Adventure | Teaching English Abroad Spring 2015


I can't recall if I've mentioned this on my blog before, but I am pursuing an opportunity to teach English abroad in South Korea. This entire year I have been preparing myself and though I wanted to go this Fall, things happened that made it unable to happen. But that is all good because everything happens for a reason. Anyway the next opportunity is in February and I have a feeling this is my time.

The decision to teach English abroad wasn't decided lightly but I know this is something that will change my life for the better and allow me to experience life outside of my comfort zone which will allow me to grow into a better person.

I chose Korea because I quickly fell in love with the culture and history and just felt this was the place for me. I also thought it was a good location that would allow me to travel around Asia and still save some money to help pay off those dreaded school loans of mine.

Anyway, after not being able to go this Fall I applied for the EPIK program as soon as the applications were released which was August 1. EPIK which stands for English Program in Korea is very competitive being that it is the most popular way to become an ESL teacher in a public school in South Korea. So I wanted to make sure I applied early.

The EPIK process is long and can be very tedious and involves a lot of waiting and for me anxiousness. This has been my timeline so far:

August 6 | Submitted application
Oct 1 | Received email that I passed the first phase and would be schedule for an Interview
Oct 7 | Had interview
Oct 9 | Received email that I had passed the interview!

They only started interviewing on Oct 1, and I was told I was apart of the 1st 100 applicants which is great. EPIK is all about first come first serve. So my next steps is to submit my documentation to the EPIK office in Korea. This is where things can get tedious and maybe even frustrating for some. Not that waiting to hear back if I had received an interview wasn't causing me to be a nervous wreck. Anyway, documents have to be perfect or you will have to resubmit them and I can only imagine that having to send documents to Korea multiple times is not financially fun.

Documents that have to be submitted are: EPIK application,  Passport photo, Copy of passport, 2 recommendation letters,  TEFL Certificate or Teaching License, Apostilled copy of your diploma, Apostilled CRC, Transcript,  and any additional documents like Tattoo declaration form. I have to sign that form to say I will kept my tattoos covered while at work or work related functions.

Of all those documents the CRC can be the most frustrating just because of how long it takes because for us Americans getting our FBI Criminal Record Check can take up to 12 weeks. So if you don't send off for it by mid August then you can really get anxiety about when it will get back and all that good stuff. Which is where I am at. I sent mind off 9/10 and it will still be another 6 to 7 weeks before I get it back. Ridiculous I know. & you can't send off for it too early because it is only valid for 6 months after the processing date.

Anyway this is where I stand. Waiting for my CRC so I can send my documents in. Right now I have everything else done and ready to go. Once I send the documents off to Korea, then there is only more waiting. The last of the waiting kind of. Once my EPIK coordinator receives my documents and makes sure they are perfect she will then submit them to the education office for where I want to work (which is Daegu) and then I have to wait until I get a placement. I might get a placement in Daegu or I might get it somewhere else. I just want to get a placement! So really I can't really breathe until I get a placement. Once that happens then it will be official that I am moving to Korea for at least a year.

So stay tune & send me your positive vibes.

I hope this post wasn't too confusing, long, or boring LOL!

I will keep you guys posted on this next chapter in my life.

 photo SignatureFabulous3_zpsfffe575f.png
Follow on Bloglovin
Want to share this post? It's easy! Just use the buttons below!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...